The horrifying facts
Shallow, hand-dug, water wells have 3 huge problems in Malawi:
- Because they are left open, mosquitoes carrying malaria congregate and breed near these wells. 110+ Malawians die everyday from malaria. (Source)
- 85% of diseases in African children under 5 come from unsanitary water. (Source)
- The well in Tambala village dries up 4 months a year. This means hours of daily walking for the women of the village during the hottest part of the year.
The unbelievably simple solution
A drilled well cleanly resolves all 3 problems:
- A drilled well is covered up, which eliminates the breeding ground for malaria.
- The water comes from an underground water table that’s free from bacteria. It’s safe enough for someone like me to drink!
- The well retrieves water from so deep within the earth that it’s a virtually unlimited water source that will never dry up for Tambala village.
The math (is it REALLY 50 cents?!)
Absolutely. The well will cost $9,000 to install. It will provide clean water to 1,200+ villagers and should last 15-20 years.
$9,000/1,200 = $7.50 per villager
$7.50/15 years = 50 cents per year!
In other words, a $4 donation is equivalent to 10 years of clean water. $40 = 100 years of clean water. And $400 = 1,000 years of clean water. The impact you can make on this village with a single dollar is ENORMOUS.
Is my donation tax deductible?
Yes! All donations go through Creative Reflections, a 501(c)3, who will issue you a tax receipt after your donation is processed. The bigger the donation, the more the tax exemption!
How do I ask a question about my donation?
Leave a comment below or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I donate?
CLICK THIS LINK: http://creative-reflections.org/donate-here.html (label donation: “Malawi”)